Zoom - Amazing or Terrible?
It's such an easy way to hold business meetings (and virtual happy hours)!
The worry is that your competitor will sneak into your meetings, steal all your secrets and then sell
them to the competition. Or maybe it's the other way around? 😉
But I suppose your view depends on which articles you read and believe. Confusing huh?
Here’s our view:
- Zoom has been built with ease of use as a bigger priority than security.
- The security risks PROBABLY aren’t horrible based on what we have seen so far, but they are far from ideal.
- Other meeting tools such as Microsoft Teams, GoToMeeting and Webex have better focus on security.
- If you are organising the meeting, use one of the above if you have the option.
- If your client or supplier sets the up the Zoom meeting, it is probably okay to do it so long as the content of meeting isn’t highly confidential and the below precautions have been taken.
- Zoom recently made passwords and the ‘Lobby’ feature by default. Leave these in place and many of the security issues you read about are prevented.
In summary. It’s too early to tell just how risky using Zoom is. In the meantime, I am avoiding using it if I can for business but am continuing to use it for personal use.